Friday, August 12, 2005

Oh the seasons ...

A lot of the knitters on the UFO anonymous ring live down under (in the land of tasty tasty tim tams). The seasons on the southern hemisphere are flipped. I've taught astronomy, I know this, I know why. But it still messes me up when I read blog entries like this (http://www.darksideofknitting.blogspot.com) . It always takes me while to remember my facts. And then I try to imagine winter in august, summer in december, X-mas in the summer, does Santa where the same outfit or does he go for a fur collared Hawaiian shirt... And it's at that point that I have to shut my brain off, for fear of what silly question might come next.

All though, X-mas in a "summer environment" shouldn't be that weird for me. After all, I live in sunny SoCal, we only have 1 season here. Two if you want to be picky, great weather and just plain good weather. We only have 8 days of rain a year, seriously, you can count them. (If you don't believe me, just watch my weather pixie.) So naturally, when X-mas rolls around, the weather here is still summer-like. You look at the fashion, big sweaters, winter pants, hats, scarves which are displayed in the store while you are shopping in shorts and flip flops. All the movies coming out, you can escape to winter wonderland for two hours (litterally, the airconditioning is crazy) and when you come out of the theatre, there is the sun to warm you up again.(Unless you go to the evening showing)
Which makes me wonder, why am I knitting a gazillion (3, plan on 2 more) sweaters and cardigans? Oh yes, so I don't freeze inside the buildings with the airco set to blizzard.
Ah yes, can't wait for a new "season" to start. No wait, scratch that, school starts again in the new "season"...

Not sure why I wrote it, just wanted to get it out. Can't talk about my knitting because I haven't done any. I feel kinda bad. I have that scarf to finish. Two actually. I will get back to it soon. I must. Keep my sanity.

9 Comments:

At 4:46 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Keeping sanity seems to be the hobby of choice for everybody lately :-p

hella...cool...residency...hella...cool...hella

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Lynette said...

I was in Australia and New Zealand last year in November. During the spring months down under, the weather conditions are similar to the US West Coast autumn - overcast, a little chilly, some rain. Plus everything is green again. It didn't seem much different at all to me from a weather standpoint except it was more humid.

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Micky said...

Thanks for the nice comments at my place. Can't wait to see how your corset comes along.
:)

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger Cathy said...

It's not always sunny at Xmas in Australia.

I can remember a Xmas day many years ago when we went to Cradle Mountain in central Tasmania (close to where we live in Tasmania, Australia) and the children had snow ball fights.

Usually we have a nice & warm Christmas but most families still have a traditional, hot Xmas dinner and Santa still wears a red & white Santa suit not shorts and T-shirt with thongs (flip flops)like a lot of Aussies in summer.

Cathy

 
At 9:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry Cathy,If you live in Adelaide you go for the seafood and frozen xmas icecream cake. Usually it is 40degrees ( is that about 112?

I think in general the US does keep buildings hotter in winter, and colder in summer than we do. I know what you mean about freezing in your aircon.

 
At 12:45 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

You can see by the above comments how the weather varies greatly between the states in Australia. Tasmania is the most southern part and the coldest, unfortunately in winter but in summer it is great, not too hot.

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi kittensmittens, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on dewalt wood working tool, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about dewalt wood working tool.

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi there kittensmittens, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on wood working clamps I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working clamps. Should the need ever arise where you need information on wood working clamps then drop by for a look.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Dale's Gmail said...

Hi there kittensmittens, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on wood working clamps I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working clamps. Should the need ever arise where you need information on wood working clamps then drop by for a look.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home